Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving thanks for not being at black friday!

Every year on the weekend of black friday my Mom and two of my sisters go down to the US to shop for black friday. They have a great time; up early, shop all day, Starbucks lattes, and bargains, bargains, bargains! Having said that I would be caught dead going. Too many people... too much chaos. Don't get me wrong I like shopping, however, I like to go with purpose. Decide what I want, research where I can get it and stop at a couple of stores to compare prices. Oh and of course pick up a coffee and visit Starbucks while I am out. 


Today I couldn't make it too a Starbucks, but still craving a hot beverage fix I came home and made homemade hot chocolate. Up until last year I used to drink PC brand's, sugar free version. After awhile I started to notice I always felt sick after. I cannot be sure it was the aspartame, however, I have read articles that aspartame can become harmful when consumed at higher temperature such as this PC hot chocolate.


So my alternative....


Easy Healthy Homemade Hot chocolate: 


1 cup Hot water
1/2 cup of almond milk
1Tb cocoa powder
Stevia
Directions:
Bring water, almond milk to simmer in a sauce pan, add in cocoa and stir until mixed. 
Add one packet of stevia
Mix and pour into your favourite mug
Add more stevia or honey to taste




Above are the ingredients I used. I prefer to use the cocoa on the right, however, I had none on hand today. 

Benefits of cocoa powder: 
Cocoa powder is packed with antioxidants. It contains twice as many antioxidants as red wine, 2-3 times as many as green tea and 4-5 times more than black tea. 

Related benefits:
1.  Decreases risk of diabetes.
2. Decreases blood pressure. Helps to dilate vessels and decrease free radical accumulation. 
3. Prevents CVD (Cardiovascular disease).
4. Can relieve PMS symptoms.

*Tip: To fit more raw cocoa powder in your daily diet add a tsp in your morning coffee. I do this all the time; what a great treat!

Hope everyone is doing well in the festive fitness challenge! Sebastien and I went for a long walk yesterday at the beautiful Elora gorge. 






No comments: