Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I got my wish

Can you believe it! Yesterday I complained about the rain and this morning I woke up to a powdered white paradise. Sebastien liked it too!
He played...


and played.


Today I had to make a quick lunch before I headed to acupunture. Whenever I want something healthy and quick I think of quinoa. It only takes 15 minutes to cook and it is a health powerhouse. It is the only grain that is a complete protein. What does that mean? Lets start with the basics; protein is made up of building blocks called amino acids. Altogether there are 22 amino acids that are essential for us to make the protein we need in our bodies. Of these 22 proteins there are 9 that have to be taken in by diet, the others can be made in the body. The first 9 are therefore called essential amnio acids.  So what is a complete protein? It is a protein source that contains adequate proportions of all the 9 essential amino acids. Most animal sources of protein are complete proteins, however, it is harder to find complete protein from vegetable sources. 








Easy Quinoa Salad: 
1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
1 medium carrot chopped
1/4 cup of red cabbage chopped
2 stalks of broccoli finely chopped
Guacamole: 1/2 avocado, tsp garlic salt, 2 tsp lemon juice


Rinse and cook quinoa. Quinoa is usually 2 to 1. Bring one cup of water to a boil. Add 1/2 a cup of rinsed quinoa stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add quinoa, carrot, cabbage and broccoli in a bowl and mix. Mix guacamole and add over salad. Mix guacamole into quinoa and serve. 

No comments: