Monday, December 5, 2011

Motivation Monday

When the weather gets dreary it is hard to stay motivated. The last thing we want to do is go out in the cold to exercise, get in the pool, or go to the gym. We would rather snuggle up with a good movie and a hot cup of cocoa. The thing I love is that the couch and the cocoa are so much more satisfying when the workout is "in the bag" for the day.


How do you stay motivated? For some people a scale really helps. Studies have shown that people who weigh themselves everyday are more likely to reach their goal weight. But then again what happens if the number isn't what you want to see? Can you lose your motivation over that? Some do, I do. So which is it, should you use a scale or not. Honestly I think it is a personal choice.


One of the tricks I have learned is to love my body for what it is. As a teenager and a young adult I used to chase a number on a scale. I always felt like I was too big, not fat, just big. My friends would tell me I was muscular and I would hate it. I hated being 20 lbs heavier than all my girlfriends? I didn't like to wear shorts, or dresses that came above the knee.  My legs were too muscley, not thin enough. More recently I cursed the introduction of the skinny jean. Bahh. Oh yeah and high boots, half of them didn't fit around my freaken calves. I didn't want to be muscular, I wanted to be thin. Slowly and I mean slowly.... like we are talking molasses here people, I have come to embrace the body I have been given. I have my dad's legs. Yes if I do squats everyday for a week I have to go up a pant size, but so what right? I am muscular... that is just the way it is. So for me it is better not to get on a scale.  What is my motivation? I like to feel good and I know that I feel better when I am fit. Period.


So what is our motivation for the day then? Check out this picture. You know how they say muscle weighs more than fat?



So lets keep turning our fat into muscle and trudge forward. Festive fitness challenge 19 more days! 

For a quick little recipe I will share my usual breakfast. A shake. 


Almond milk, protein powder, organic blueberries, almond butter and chia seed. 





Finished product





Blueberry shake
1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup of organic blueberries
1Tbs chia seed (optional)
1 packet stevia (optional)
0.5 Tbs almond butter
1 scoop protein powder

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Serve and enjoy. 

Nutritional Information:
Total Calories: 260
Protein: 11.5g
Fibre: 12.5g 

The thing I love about this breakfast is that it takes two minutes to make, it keeps me full and I can throw it in my portable Starbucks cup and go!

Enjoy. 

No comments: