Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Track record blues


Do you ever feel like you are doomed to fail? Have you been on this weight loss journey before and failed?  I say so what! Let this time be different. It is all about attitude, awareness and goals. Here is why I have to believe this is true. Last night my husband and I went for a walk with our puppy Sebastien. We were talking about how we soooooo never thought we would own a dog. We also can't believe how much we love having one. That got me to thinking about past pets. This is when reality hit. I am a crappy pet owner with a REALLY BAD track record. Case in point:

Pet 1: Squirty the cat (it was the runt of the litter and I was 7 when I named it): Hit by a car, leg amputated, ran away 1 week later.
Pet 2: Dusty the hamster: Had for about 1 month without any events. One day I left it outside in one of those plastic running balls. It died from the heat. Oh gosh...
Pet 3: Zack the lizard: Had Zack for about 3 months. One day I came to his aquarium and he was missing. Never found him. I herby formally apologize to the current owners of our old house if you ever came upon a lizard corpse. 
Pet 4: Oscar the bunny: Died from neglect of some sort I am sure. 
Pet 5: Sebastien my puppy. Sebastien I promise this time will be different. I promise to care for you, feed you, walk you, take you to the vet etc. 

Needless to say Andrew and I were almost in tears laughing as we recalled this unfortunate track record. 

You know what they say 5th times a charm... I guess what I am trying to say is why not this time? So what if it is your 20th try. Maybe the 20th time will be a charm. So how can we achieve our fitness goals? Here are a couple of practical tips that might help. 
1.) Write down your goals. Make them specific and attainable. Give yourself proper time to achieve them.
2.) What are your challenges? Why have you failed in the past? For example do you cut your calories by too much and then binge. Most of the time small changes, although producing smaller results, are the ones that last. Do you mindlessly eat? I have heard a really good rule is to only eat when you are sitting. This will stop you from sampling food as you prepare it, adding unwanted calories.
3.) Snack! Snack! Snack! I cannot express how important this is. Snacking during the day keeps your energy up and your metabolism burning.  150-200 calorie snacks consisting of protein and carbs are ideal
4.) Drink! Drink! Drink! Intake fluids constantly. Remember to replace any fluids lost by coffee or alcohol. 

Hopefully these tips help!

Below is a husband approved vegan meal. It has become a family favorite. 

Vegan Enchiladas




You can find the recipe Here

The only changes we made were adding broccoli cut up very very small for some added nutrients and a handful of edamame. Andrew loves these.

Happy festive fitnessing! (Yes I am aware that is not a word)

No comments: