Sunday, December 4, 2011

Quick, healthy, no fry falafel

Today was a dreary rainy day in southern Ontario. Yuk! To top it off our hot water heater broke last night; we couldn't even have a shower to warm up. Thank goodness for sisters! I was so cold on Saturday night I went to my sisters after our dinner party and had a nice HOT shower. Don't worry you don't keep a 10 foot radius around us tomorrow, we got it fixed. 

Along with seeing friends and family this weekend we indulged in a couple of christmas movies. Andrews favourite...


Tonight we went to my sister Jacquie's for dinner. I was in charge of bringing something for her and I to eat while the boys ate some "tasty" looking salmon. Sorry, I try but I just can't make myself like fish. It's funny I have acquired a taste for most things healthy in the past 5 years but fish... I cannot handle you. Well that isn't true I will eat it, however, by the time I get it tasting edible I mine as well eat a chocolate sunday because it has so many condiments on it. So what did the girls have? Some great oven baked falafel.  I ended up taking a couple of recipes and making my own. It turned out great. 

falafel, tzatziki and avocado


No fry falafel

1 can of chickpeas
2 Tbs blackbean flour (Can probably use normal all purpose)
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 red onion finely chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix chickpeas, flour, oil and lemon juice in a food processor on high until well mixed. Add spices and mix on high for another minute. Shape mixture into 8-10 small patties. Using a basting brush coat both sides of the patties with olive oil. Place in the oven for a total of 20 minutes flipping half way through. 

You can enjoy these on salads as we did or in a pita. Make sure you get some tzatziki. We used PC blue menu. If I had had more time I would have made my own. You know christmas movie afternoons are a commitment. cough cough 

As we are all on the festive fitness challenge we cannot have dessert right now. That didn't stop my nephew Carson.... 

Double peanut butter ice cream, oreos, and milk
Aunty Jenny added some fun toppings
Yum... Jealous... 

No comments: